It is not difficult to understand why stress and insomnia go hand in hand. When one is under a lot of stress, and is not taking successful steps to control that stress, sleep is just one of the secondary conditions that may arise.
There are many factors that can cause stress such as a new job, a death of a loved one or feeling like you have more responsibility than you can handle. It is possible to be under a lot of stress and not even realize it. Below are some of the most common symptoms of stress.
* Sudden inability to sleep
* Waking frequently during the night
* Finding it difficult to concentrate, even on simple tasks
* Rapid heart rate
* Headaches and muscle aches
* Stomach pain
* Mood swings
Of course, many of those symptoms can be caused by something other than stress, but if you have had a major life change or are feeling overwhelmed, you should consider the possibility that stress is the cause.
When stress and insomnia are both present, it can make the stress even worse. If you look again at the list of symptoms you will see that many of them sound similar to symptoms of insomnia.
Just the stress alone can bring on mood swings and fatigue. Add insomnia and it will only serve to make those symptoms even worse. When that happens, the stress level is likely to increase and a vicious cycle is in place.
While, in an ideal world, the advice may be to eliminate the factor that is causing the stress, the fact is that usually that is not possible. Instead, you must learn to deal with your stress and insomnia in ways that will minimize their impact on your emotional and physical health.
Below are some stress management tips.
* Avoid negative people. This is not always possible, but when you do have control choose to be around people that make you happy.
* Learn your limitations. You cannot do everything that is asked of you and you will never be able to please everyone. Stop trying. Instead, do those things that you need to do and then add extras, such as volunteering, in areas that are important and meaningful to you.
* Learn time management. Why can some people hold a job, raise a family, keep the house spotless and still have time for a night out? It's because they learned about time management.
* Forget trying to be perfect. Everything does not have to be in its place. You do not have to raise the most money, get the most new clients and never burn dinner. Just learn to laugh at some of your faux paux.
If your own attempts to deal with stress do not work, you should see a doctor or therapist for help. If left untreated, stress and insomnia can cause serious health problems.
Stress and insomnia can each be made worse by the other. Learn to deal with them both so that you can be your best for yourself and your family.
Welcome to Insomnia 4 Insomniacs
Hello and Welcome to Insomnia 4 insomniacs. You are probably on this site because you or somebody you know is an insomniac. An insomniac is a person who cannot sleep, or has trouble falling asleep, or wakes up too early and then cannot go back to sleep. On Insomnia 4 Insomniacs I hope to share information, guidance and tips to help you overcome insomnia. I also welcome your positive contributions so that other visitors can benefit from the advice given here and to help insomniacs overcome this debilitating condition.